mass5.jpg (16681 bytes)
MASS5.
G.H. Nickerson, Provincetown, Cape Cod Scenery. Long Point. Feb. 15, 1875 written on verso. Printed title list on verso but no titles underlined. VG. $65


MASS36.
Nickerson & Smith, Provincetown. Whale. VG. $125


MASS37.
G.H. Nickerson, Provincetown. Cape Cod Views. Blackfish. Extensive title listing on label verso. VG. $85

  
MASS39.
No ID. The Wharves from Fish Island, New Bedford Mass.VG. $85

  
MASS47.
B.W. Kilburn. 368. Landing of the Pilgrims, Plymouth, Mass. VG. $25

     
MASS50.
G.H. Nickerson, Provincetown. Cape Cod Views. Fishing Fleet off Long Point. G. $75

     
MASS51.
J.W. & J. S. Moulton, Salem. No. 13. Rail Road Bridge. VG. $75

     
MASS53.
Stamp of B.F. Stevens, Peabody, Jeweler & Stationer, on verso. Peabody Square, Allens Block. Few spots on left image o/w VG. $150   [See Presidential Stereoviews Page for more views from this series.]

  
MASS58.
E.G. Rollins, Gloucester, Mass. Cape Ann Scenery. Harbor and Breakwater, Lanesville. VG. $100

  
MASS63.
G.H. Nickerson, Provincetown. Cape Cod Scenery. Gull Hill. G. $45

     
MASS70.
T. Lewis, Cambridgeport. 1775. Centennial Views. Battle of Bunker Hill. No. 24. 5th Maryland Regiment, Parade Ground, Common. VG. $45

  
MASS71.
Chas. Pollock, 1872. World’s Peace Jubilee. VG. $25

  
MASS72.
Chas. Pollock, 1872. World’s Peace Jubilee. VG. $25

     
MASS76.
Cowee, West Gardner, Mass. Written on back: “G.P. & J.G. Tales. Ash Bottom Chair Shop of J.G. Tales. Totally destroyed by fire December 1880. East Templeton View. This Howard White worked here as young man.” VG. $85

     
MASS77.
Cowee, West Gardner, Mass. Written on back: “Chair Shop of Poor & Pierce. Totally destroyed by fire March 1887. East Templeton View. Upper Shop Built by Frederick Parker Samuel Jennison & Joshua Sawyer who manufactured chairs from 1853 to 1861. Later chair shop of Parker & Carter (1863 to 1870). McLean & Dickerman 1870 to 1873; 1873 to 1875 Poor & Pierce. Destroyed by fire in March 1887 unoccupied. One of the places where Thomas Howard White worked.” VG. $85

  
MASS78.
Hall, Gt. Barrington, Mass. A view of men in front of a hunting and fishing lodge, lots of guns and poles. Some spots in right image at top of building. G. $40

  
MASS79.
Hall, Gt. Barrington, Mass. A view of the interior of a lodge. G+. $45

     
MASS87.
R.D. Ward, North Adams, Mass. No. 794. North Adams & Vicinity. Looks like a school picture. There are a pair of men on the top ledge of the building. VG. $35

     
MASS88.
E&HT Anthony. Springfield, Mass. No. 8927. “Daily Union” Building, Main Street. G+. $25

     
MASS93.
American Stereoscopic Co, Boston. No. 150. Head of Park, Lynn, Looking West. VG. $40

  
MASS94.
No ID. Washington Elm, Cambridge. VG. $45

  
MASS95.
Nickerson & Smith, Provincetown. Making Fish. G. $35

  
MASS98.
G.H. Nickerson, Provincetown. Cape Cod Scenery. Central House. VG. $65

  
MASS99.
Nickerson & Smith, Provincetown. Pilgrim House. VG. $65

  
MASS101.
J. Freeman, Nantucket. A School of Blackfish. VG. $75


O208.
H.D. Ward, North Adams, Mass. No. 829. Hoosac Tunnel. VG. $150


SP102.
L.B. Howard, Brockton, Mass. Brockton Race Track. VG. $75


MASS113.
Nickerson, Provincetown. Sun Fish. VG. $95


O215.
H.D. Ward, North Adams, Mass. Hoosac Tunnel. No. 804. West End. Showing the Brick Arch. The distance from the mouth of this Arch to the heading is now about 4500 feet. G. $50


MASS118.
Houghton & Knowlton. Published by Henry M. Burt, Northampton, Mass. Burt’s Stereoscopic Views of Sugar Loaf Mountain and Vicinity. Conn. River Bridge and Sunderland Village, from Table Rock, Sugar Loaf Mt.-looking East. G. $35


MASS120.
No ID. Gay Head Lighthouse. VG. $85


O237.
Hurd & Smith’s Excelsior Gallery, North Adams, Mass. Hoosac Tunnel Route Series. Hoosac Tunnel–Interior View. These views are the first interiors ever made at the Hoosac Tunnel, and were taken under difficult circumstances. The material used for producing light, filled the heading with thick smoke, making chemical action almost impossible. The heading at this time is at a distance of 7750 feet from the West Portal. The West Shaft 318 feet deep, the rock over this 1700 feet thick. VG. $125


O238.
Hurd & Smith’s Excelsior Gallery, North Adams, Mass. 241. Miners descending the West Shaft. VG. $75


MASS121.
J.C. Moulton, Fitchburg, Mass. No. 87. Union Pass. Depot. VG. $65


MASS122.
No ID. Procession Sept. 17. Washington St. E. Dock Sq. Henry Ward Beechers Reg’t, Brookline, NY. Although it says “NY” this is Boston. During the Civil War, Beecher’s Church in Brooklyn raised & equipped a volunteer regiment. VG. $125


MASS123.
H.D. Ward, North Adams, Mass. 844. North Adams from Witt’s Ledge. E. $65

Fishermen, Martha's Vineyard, Massachusetts Fishermen, Martha's Vineyard, Massachusetts
MASS139. Kilburn, although unlabeled. Titled in manuscript on verso “Fishermen, M. Vineyard, Ma.” This ID is incorrect. This is actually Kilburn 1236. Fishermen of Quidnet, Nantucket. (Thanks Chip.) VG. $75

Adams Express Company, Concord Massachusetts Adams Express Company, Concord Massachusetts
MASS140. [H.P. Moore, Concord, Mass.] Street scene showing the Adams Express Company and other storefronts. Wagons are loaded with packages out front.  A knowledgeable collector has identified this view as showing the Jeweler’s Building on Main St. in Worcester. The Adams Express Company was started in May of 1840 by a man named Alvin Adams in Boston. The primary business was the carrying of small parcels, bank drafts and other valuable items between Boston, Worcester, Norwich, New London and New York City with the use of steamboats and railroads. At this time the shipping and delivery business was booming. A number of large local and regional companies such as Livingston, Fargo & Company, Wells & Company, and Butterfield & Wasson were beginning during this year also. The men who put together these companies later on in 1849 put together what we now know as The American Express Company.  The business routes of the company expanded rapidly and at the start of the gold rush, a new trans-continental business development was started. Shortly after in 1849, Adams moved to California and started an Adams & Co.  This firm was closely related to that of the Eastern company but this one focused on the transportation of gold dust from San Francisco to New York.  During the Civil War the Adams Express Company initially acted as paymaster for both the Union and Confederate armies and later set up a separate wholly-owned company called the Southern Express to handle payment of the Southern troops. In 2004, the company observed its 150th year Anniversary. Today the Adams Express Company is still delivering and is a diversified equity investment company.  VG. $150

Quarries at Gloucester Massachusetts Quarries at Gloucester Massachusetts
MASS144. No ID. Quarries at Gloucester, Mass. VG. $85

Sankaty Head Lighthouse by Freeman
MASS145. J. Freeman, Nantucket. Sankaty Head Lighthouse. G. $75

Hoosac House and Depot  Hoosac House and Depot
MASS147. John S. Moulton, Salem, Mass. Hoosac Tunnel and Vicinity. No. 261. Hoosac House and Depot. G. $35

Western Portal, Hoosac Tunnel  Western Portal, Hoosac Tunnel
MASS152. H.D. Ward, North Adams, Mass. 808. Western Portal, Hoosac Tunnel. G. $35

Hoosac Tunnel, West End  Hoosac Tunnel, West End
MASS153. H.M. Ramsdell, North Adams, Mass. 58. Hoosac Tunnel, West End. G. $35

Deerfield River  Deerfield River
MASS155. U.S. Stereoscopic Co., Boston. Hoosac Tunnel & Vicinity. 578. Study at the Deerfield River. G. $20

West Entrance of Arch  West Entrance of Arch
MASS156. Hurd & Smith’s Excelsior Gallery, North Adams, Mass. Hoosac Tunnel Route Series. 218. West Entrance of Arch. G. $25

Hoosac Tunnel Looking Out, East End  Hoosac Tunnel Looking Out, East End
MASS157. E.D. Merriam, Greenfield, Mass. Hoosac Tunnel and Vicinity. Hoosac Tunnel, looking out-East End. G. $25

Entrance to Tunnel, East End  Entrance to Tunnel, East End
MASS158. No ID. Hoosac Tunnel & Vicinity. No. 262. Entrance to Tunnel, East End. VG. $30

Machine Shop at East End Hoosac Tunnel  Machine Shop at East End Hoosac Tunnel
MASS160. J.S. Moulton, Salem, Mass. Hoosac Tunnel and Vicinity. No. 274. Machine Shop at East End. G. $20

Shaft of Hoosac Tunnel  Shaft of Hoosac Tunnel
MASS161. Hurd & Smith’s Excelsior Gallery, North Adams, Mass. Hoosac Tunnel Route Series. 241. Engineers descending the West Shaft. G. $25

Bird's Eye View of Nantucket  Bird's Eye View of Nantucket
MASS166. J. Freeman, Nantucket. Bird’s eye view of the north part of Nantucket including the Ocean House and North Church. G-. $20

Nantucket from Tower North  Nantucket from Tower North
MASS168. J. Freeman, Nantucket. Nantucket from Tower North. On back is written “B’ot in Sankaty Head Lt. House, July 1881, Nantucket.” G. $25

Overview Nantucket  Overview Nantucket
MASS169. J. Freeman, Nantucket. Overview of Nantucket. G. $30

Wreck of Brig Poinsett  Wreck of Brig Poinsett
MASS171. J. Freeman, Nantucket. Wreck of Brig Poinsett Sept. 3rd, 1870. G. $25

Sankaty Head Light House  Sankaty Head Light House
MASS176. J. Freeman, Nantucket. Sankaty Head Light House and Keepers dwelling. G. $75

Deerfield River  Deerfield River
MASS186. John S. Moulton, Salem, Mass. Hoosac Tunnel and Vicinity. 270. Deerfield River. G. $8

West Entrance Looking in Hoosac Tunnel  West Entrance Looking in Hoosac Tunnel
MASS188. No ID. Hoosac Tunnel & Vicinity. 579. West Entrance, looking in. G. $20

Central Shaft Building  Central Shaft Building
MASS190. W.P. Hurd’s Excelsior Gallery, North Adams, Mass. Hoosac Tunnel Route Series. 235. General view of Central Shaft Building. G+. $40

West Entrance of Arch  West Entrance of Arch
MASS191. W.P. Hurd’s Excelsior Gallery, North Adams, Mass. Hoosac Tunnel Route Series. 218. West Entrance of Arch. G. $30

East End, Miners Going In  East End, Miners Going In
MASS192. W.P. Hurd’s Excelsior Gallery, North Adams, Mass. Hoosac Tunnel Route Series. 221. East End Miners Going In. VG. $40

Oak Bluffs Chapel  Oak Bluffs Chapel
MASS194. No ID. Oak Bluffs Chapel. VG. $25

Chapel, Oak Bluffs  Chapel, Oak Bluffs
MASS206. C.H. Shute & Son, Edgartown, Mass. No. 15. View of the Chapel, Oak Bluffs. VG. $20

Sea View House  Sea View House
MASS213. S.F. Adams, Oak Bluffs. Sea View House. VG. $25

Florence Sewing Machine Manufactory  Florence Sewing Machine Manufactory
MASS227. Burt’s Stereoscopic Views of Northampton and Vicinity. Photographed by Lovell & Knowlton. This view may have been taken by little-known photographer Charles Prouty, who worked for Lovell & Knowlton. Florence Sewing Machine Manufactory, at Florence. G. $75

After the Fire Ware, Massachusetts  After the Fire Ware, Massachusetts
MASS228. J.L. Lovell, Amherst, Mass. Morning after a fire at Ware, Mass. VG. $50

Mills at Ware, Massachusetts  Mills at Ware, Massachusetts
MASS229. J.L. Lovell, Amherst, Mass. Mills at Ware, Mass. G. $25

Soldiers' Monument, Williamstown, Mass.  Soldiers' Monument, Williamstown, Mass.
MASS230. J.L. Lovell, Amherst, Mass. Stereoscopic Views of Williamstown, Mass. Soldiers’ Monument. The Soldiers’ Monument is now at Williams College. It features a 96′ x 55′ x 55′ bronze statue of a Civil war soldier standing at parade rest on a 104′ by 84′ by 84′ octagonal granite base. The monument cost between $9,000 and $10,000 and was commissioned by the Society of Alumni of Williams College to commemorate Williams College students who died in the Civil War. The figure was sculpted by James Goodwin Batterson and designed by Joseph R. Richards. Cram and Ferguson was the architectural firm for the placement. The statue was cast at the Ames Manufacturing Company Foundry of Chicopee, MA. the contractor was the Sawyer Construction Company and the base was fabricated at the New England Granite Works. A moustached Union Army soldier is wearing a long coat, cape and cap while standing at parade rest. He is holding the muzzle of a rifle with both hands, left over right. His head is tilted slightly to his left. The monument was dedicated on July 28, 1868. Around 1926, the sculpture was removed from its original base, which was destroyed. The present base was designed by Cram and Ferguson, and the monument was reinstalled by the Sawyer Construction Company in 1928. This stereoview shows the statue on its original base. G. $35

 7 Views by Charles Prouty, Northampton MA  7 Views by Charles Prouty, Northampton MA
MASS231. Charles Prouty, Northampton, Mass. Group of 6 stereoviews by this little-known, rare photographer. Not in Darrah. Prouty appears to have worked for J.L. Lovell, Manchester Bros, Burt, and possibly others but these are the only views I’ve seen with his own backmark. Titles are: Residence of W. Tillotson, Northampton, Mass. (my boarding place); Owl’s Head Mountain House, C.E.; Flume below the Boulder; Echo Lake from Eagle Cliff; College Flower Garden, Amherst, Mass.; & Brattleboro, Vt. from Cemetery Hill. Obviously this group contains views of Massachusetts, New Hampshire and Vermont indicating the various locations that Prouty worked and likely resided. One view in this group is where he lodged when in Northampton. VG. $300

 Haydenville Brass Band
MU160. [Charles Prouty, MA]. No. 109. Haydenville Brass Band. This view is likely by Charles Prouty. It came from a collection of photos by Prouty who worked for a number of Massachusetts and RI photographers. VG. $200

Hoosac Tunnel Engineers Hoosac Tunnel Engineers
Mass240. H.D. Ward, North Adams, Mass. No. 836. Hoosac Tunnel. View of Central Shaft Buildings. Depth of Shaft from base of Building to bed of Road, 1000,80 feet. (Do they mean 1080 feet?). The well-dressed men in foreground are undoubtedly engineers and they are gathered around a scientific instrument on the platform at center. VG. $150

Nantucket Nantucket
Mass241. J. Freeman, Nantucket. Town from South Tower looking N.E. VG. $50

Taunton
Mass245. W. Battelle. Taunton Stereoscopic Views. Written on back Taunton Normal School? G. $25

Fishermen of Siasconset
Mass246. Kilburn Brothers, Littleton, NH. 1232. Fishermen of Siasconset, Nantucket. VG. $50

Martha's Vineyard
Mass256. Kilburn Brothers, Littleton, NH. 1006. Sea View House, Martha’s Vineyard. VG. $25

Gay Head Light House
Mass257. Kilburn Brothers, Littleton, NH. 2015. Gay Head Light House, Martha’s Vineyard. G. $25

Nantucket
Mass258. J. Freeman, Nantucket. G. $50

Nantucket
Mass259. J. Freeman, Nantucket. Overview. VG. $60

Nantucket
Mass260. J. Freeman, Nantucket. VG. $50

Nantucket
Mass261. J. Freeman, Nantucket. Whaling. VG. $85

Nantucket
Mass262. J. Freeman, Nantucket. VG. $50

Boys Sewing State Reform School
Mass263. No. 57. Boys Sewing, State Reform School, Westborough. VG. $35

Worcester Excursion Car Co.
Mass264. Worcester Excursion Car Co. No. 72. Grand Saloon. Plan C. Chipped lower left corner. G. $65

Cape Ann Stereoview
Mass265. J.W. & J.S. Moulton, Salem, Mass. Title is No. 212. Oldest House on the Cape, Pigeon Cove. VG. $20


O308. No ID. Iron Double-Track Railway Bridge, Boston & Albany R.R. Over the Connecticut River at Springfield, Mass. Designed by Chas. Hilton, Civil Engineer, Albany, N.Y. Riveted Diagonal Truss, 7 spans, 180 feet each. Total length, 1260 feet. Built by the Leighton Bridge and Iron Works, Rochester, N.Y. 1878. VG. $150


O320. No ID. View of the Picture Window at Gill’s “Art Store.” The Specialties at the Art Store, are Paintings, Water Colors, Engravings, Photographs, Statuary, Bronzes, Rogers’ Groups, Clocks, Picture Framing, Mirrors, Fine Stationery, Blank Books, Miscellaneous Books, Illustrated Books, Swiss Carvings, Russia Leather Goods. Gill’s Art Store, Springfield, Mass. VG. $150


O321. Published by C.F. Copeland, Manufacturer of Picture Frames, and dealer in Books, Stationery and Fancy Goods, Cor. Main and Centre Sts., Brockton, Mass. G. $40


O322. Advertising stereoview for the real estate project Ocean View Point, Pigeon Cove, Mass. The Extreme and Outermost Point of Eastern Massachusetts. The Greatest Variety of Scenery. The Finest Graded Avenues in New England. Title of this view is 1. Intersection of Point De Chene and Phillips Ave’s. VG. $85


O323. L.O. Churchill, Lowell, Mass. Advertising stereoview for the real estate project Ocean View Point, Pigeon Cove, Mass. Title listing on verso but no title is indicated. VG. $45


Mass268. O.F. Baxter, Chelsea, Mass. No. 3. 4th of July Celebration, Chelsea, 1868. VG-. $50


Mass270. J. Freeman, Nantucket. West from South Tower. VG. $45


Mass272. G.H. Nickerson, Provincetown, Mass. Cape Cod Scenery. Clay Cliffs by Highland Light. G. $35


Mass278. No ID. Dungeon Rock. G. $35

 
Mass280. S.F. Adams, Oak Bluffs. Mr. Blood’s new cottage. VG. $35

  
Mass281. S.F. Adams, Oak Bluffs. Sea view house. G. $20


Mass283. [S.F. Adams, Oak Bluffs]. Penobscot Ave. VG. $30

 
Mass286.  S.F. Adams, Oak Bluffs. View looking up the Bluff plank walk. G. $15


Mass287. S.F. Adams, Oak Bluffs. Mrs. Gov. Wright, Ocean Ave Oak Bluffs, M.V. VG. $30


Mass290. S.F. Adams, Oak Bluffs. Oak Bluff wharf and Sea View House, M.V. G. $15


Mass291. S.F. Adams, Oak Bluffs. Sea View House. G. $20


Mass296. S.F. Adams, Oak Bluffs. Dr. Tucker’s Cottage Ocean Ave Oak Bluffs, M.V. G. $35


Mass297. J. Freeman, Nantucket. Life Saving Station. VG. $125


Mass298. J. Freeman, Nantucket. Life Saving Station. VG. $125


Mass299. Heywood, published by Frank Rowell, Boston, Mass. No. 114. Views of Boston and Vicinity. Great Organ. 2-cent tax stamp on verso. VG. $35


Mass302. Barnum. Military Review for Prince of Wales, Boston Common, Oct. 1860. VG. $75


Mass303. No ID. Gray’s Hall, Harvard. For dormitories. Built 1864. Grays became the College’s first building with water taps in the basement. (Residents of other buildings in Harvard Yard had to haul water from pumps in the Yard.) Known as “The Harvard Hilton,” it is considered the most luxurious dormitory in the Yard. Past residents include Jeff Bingaman, Michael Cohrs, Jeremy Doner, Ryan Fitzpatrick, Julie Hilden, Norman Mailer, Malia Obama, Natalie Portman, Joseph Ransohoff, Frank Rich, Mo Rocca, John Weidman, and Michael Weishan. G. $35


Mass304. No ID. Hollis Hall (at left). Used for dormitories. Built in 1762-63.  Built by Thomas Dawes, Hollis is one of the oldest buildings at Harvard, and housed George Washington’s troops during the American Revolution. Past residents include Charles Francis Adams, Sr., Horatio Alger, Jr., Jim Cramer, Ralph Waldo Emerson, Edward Everett, Boisfeuillet Jones, Jr., Joseph P. Kennedy, Sr., Wendell Phillips, Henry David Thoreau, George Santayana, Charles Sumner, John Updike, and William Weld.” Harvard Hall (at right). Used for recitations and lectures. 1812-13. Wikipedia: “Harvard Hall is a Harvard University classroom building in Harvard Yard, Cambridge, Massachusetts. The present Harvard Hall replaces an earlier structure which burned on January 24, 1764, destroying 4,500 of the College Library’s 5,000 books as well as its collection of “philosophical apparatus” (scientific instruments). The Massachusetts General Court, which had been meeting in Harvard Hall to escape a smallpox epidemic in Boston, took responsibility for the fire and funded reconstruction. Thanks to generous donors such as Thomas Hollis V and John Hancock, within two years the new Harvard Hall housed a library larger than that the College had before the fire. Thomas Dawes, who also built Hollis Hall at Harvard, was the master builder. Under the specific advice of Benjamin Franklin, a new collection of scientific instruments and electrical demonstration equipment was acquired (mostly in London) to replace the apparatus that had been lost in the fire. The collection he assembled would later become part of the Harvard Collection of Historical Scientific Instruments, now on public display in the Harvard Science Center. G. $35


Mass305. No ID. University Hall, Harvard. Used for recitations and lectures. Built in 1812-13. University Hall is a white granite building designed by the great early American architect Charles Bulfinch and built by the noted early engineer Loammi Baldwin, Jr. It is located in Harvard Yard on the campus of Harvard University in Cambridge, Massachusetts. It was designated a National Historic Landmark in 1970 for its architectural significance. The hall was designed by Bulfinch, class of 1781, and built between 1813–1815 of white Chelmsford granite, probably using rock cut to size at the Charlestown Prison. It consists of a partial basement story, plus three full stories raised above ground as well as an additional story set within the roof line. The long east and west facades are very similar, and symmetrically arranged with two entrances per facade, each flanked by pilasters; smaller north and south facades present rows of windows. Total construction cost was $65,000 of which $53,000 was paid by the Commonwealth of Massachusetts.  University Hall’s first floor contained the College Commons (dining room) until 1849. The building also contained a library and philosophical (scientific) apparatus, as well as a chapel within the second and third floors. A massive portico with stone pillars was added to the western facade soon after completion, but removed in 1842. In 1849 the first floor was partitioned into classrooms; in 1867 the chapel was partitioned as well. In 1896 the chapel was restored and used for meetings of the Faculty of Arts and Sciences. In 1924 Daniel Chester French’s bronze statue of John Harvard was moved to the western façade from its original location near Memorial Hall.  VG. $35


Mass306. No ID. Harvard College Dane Hall Law School. Built 1832. G. $35


Mass307. No ID. Holden Chapel, Harvard. Now used for Recitations and Lectures. Built 1744. It is the third oldest building at Harvard and one of the oldest college buildings in America. In December 1741, Mrs. Samuel Holden, the widow of a former Governor of the Bank of England, offered Harvard a 400 pound sterling donation towards the construction of a chapel on campus, prompted by a suggestion from Thomas Hutchinson. After additional funds were raised, the chapel opened in March 1745. From 1744 to 1772 (except for 1767-68) the chapel housed morning and evening prayers for the Harvard student body, as well as providing space for some secular uses such as lectures. After the 1783 establishment of the Harvard Medical School, the building was used by its founder, John Warren, on a regular basis for 19 years, and intermittently by him and others thereafter until 1825. In the 1930s, Holden Chapel (and Hollis Hall) were chosen by the Historical American Buildings Survey Commission as two of the finest examples of early Colonial architecture in Massachusetts. For much of the 20th century, Holden Chapel housed the student offices of the Harvard Glee Club and later the Radcliffe Choral Society and the Harvard-Radcliffe Collegium Musicum, which collectively came to be known as the Holden Choirs. The chapel was remodeled in 1999 to serve as both a classroom and a musical rehearsal and performance space. Though no longer housing the Holden Choirs’ offices, Holden Chapel now serves as their primary rehearsal space. VG. $35


Mass308. No ID. Thayer Club Building. Harvard College. “Commons” or “Grub Shop” so-called. G. $35


Mass309. No ID. Holworthy Hall, Harvard. Used for dormitories. Built in 1812. Holworthy was named in 1812 in honor of a wealthy English merchant, Sir Matthew Holworthy, who died in 1678 having bequeathed £1,000 to Harvard — then the largest donation in the college’s history — “for the promotion of learning and the promulgation of the Gospel” in Cambridge. When it opened on August 18, 1812, then-President John Thornton Kirkland of Harvard referred to it as “Holworthy College.” It did not have indoor plumbing; for almost a century, students had to go outside to use the college’s pump. Rent was $26 per year. The dorm was originally used for all classes, as evidenced by famous residents like Thomas Bulfinch and Horatio Alger being housed in it multiple times, but was predominantly used for housing seniors during its early existence. By the turn of the 20th century, the senior classes expressed a desire to formally make the oldest Yard buildings — first Holworthy, then Hollis and Stoughton — their own and petitioned the college administration to make Holworthy a senior-only dormitory. By the hundredth anniversary of the dorm in 1912, about 1,300 men had lived in Holworthy. By 1904, Holworthy was fully a senior dorm. Although it was not considered as fashionable as some of the newer dorms, Holworthy and its neighbors on the Yard became the center of student life on campus. It also became known for housing many of the most prominent students within the college’s social life, including athletic team captains and managers, Lampoon presidents (including Robert Benchley ’12, who spoke at Holworthy’s centennial dinner), Advocate presidents, and the leaders of the college’s various musical groups. By the 1910s, the New York Times reported that Holworthy’s “record of men afterward illustrious who have occupied its rooms is probably longer than any similar list possessed by any other college building,” making it the “pet” dorm of seniors. With the other freshman dormitories in the Yard, Holworthy joined the Harvard–Yale sister colleges arrangement in 2005, when Harvard’s freshman dormitories — which are not otherwise formally affiliated with Harvard’s residential houses — became associated with Harvard houses and their counterparts among Yale University’s residential colleges. Holworthy was paired with Hollis Hall to become part of Winthrop House’s affiliation with Davenport College at Yale. The arrangement is subject to change. VG. $35


Mass310. No ID. Harvard College, in Cambridge, Mass. President’s Old House, built 1726-27. G. $25


Mass311. No ID. Harvard College, in Cambridge, Mass. Matthews Hall, dormitories, built in 1871-2. Past notable residents include Philip Warren Anderson, Matt Birk, Matt Damon, John Dos Passos, Maura Healey, Barney Frank, William Randolph Hearst, Mark Penn, Daniel Quillen, Robert Rubin, Chuck Schumer, Lloyd Shapley, and Maurice Wertheim.G-. $15


Mass312. No ID. Harvard College, in Cambridge, Mass. Museum of Comparative Zoology, built in 1859. G. $25


Mass313. No ID. Harvard College, in Cambridge, Mass. Thayer Hall, dormitories, built in 1870. G. $25


Mass314. No ID. Harvard College, in Cambridge, Mass. Massachusetts Hall, for lectures, built 1719-20. Massachusetts Hall is the oldest surviving building at Harvard College, the first institution of higher learning in the British colonies in America, and second oldest academic building in the United States after the Wren Building at the College of William & Mary. As such, it possesses great significance not only in the history of American education but also in the story of the developing English Colonies of the 18th century. Massachusetts Hall was designed by Harvard Presidents John Leverett and his successor Benjamin Wadsworth. It was erected between 1718 and 1720 in Harvard Yard. It was originally a dormitory containing 32 chambers and 64 small private studies for the 64 students it was designed to house. During the siege of Boston, 640 American soldiers took quarters in the hall. Much of the interior woodwork and hardware, including brass doorknobs, disappeared at this time. While designed as a residence for students, the building has served many purposes through the years. After Thomas Hollis donated a quadrant and a 24-foot telescope in 1722, for example, the building housed an informal observatory.  Currently, the President of the University, Provost, Treasurer, and Vice Presidents have offices that occupy the first two floors and half of the third. Freshmen reside in the fourth floor. Massachusetts Hall, as Harvard’s oldest extant dormitory, has housed many influential people. Founding fathers who lived in Massachusetts Hall include John Adams, John Hancock, Samuel Adams, Elbridge Gerry, and James Otis. Members of the Wigglesworth, Weld, Thayer, Eliot, and Lowell families (among others), whose names now grace other dormitories, also lived in Massachusetts Hall. More recent notable residents of Massachusetts Hall include Alan Jay Lerner, Elliot Richardson, John Harbison, and Jeff Schaffer. G. $25


Mass315. No ID. Harvard College, in Cambridge, Mass. President’s House, built in 1838. G. $25


Mass316. No ID. Harvard College, in Cambridge, Mass. Divinity Hall, for divinity school, built in 1826. Divinity Hall is the oldest building in the Harvard Divinity School at Harvard University. It is located at 14 Divinity Avenue, Cambridge, Massachusetts. The Hall was designed by Solomon Willard and Thomas Sumner, and dedicated on August 29, 1826, with William Ellery Channing giving the dedicatory speech, “The Christian Ministry.” It was the first Harvard building constructed outside Harvard Yard. As George Huntston Williams wrote in his 1954 history of the Divinity School, theological students needed to be isolated from undergraduates lest they drink up “more of the spirit of the University than of the spirit of their profession.” A decade later, on July 15, 1838, Ralph Waldo Emerson delivered his famous Divinity School Address, “Acquaint Thyself at First Hand with Deity,” in the Hall. The building is a rectangular two story brick building, laid in Flemish bond, with only minimal brownstone trim. It has a hip roof that is only broken by a gable at the center of the long side, part of a projecting central section three bays wide. The building has a pair of entrances on either side of this central section, which are framed by Greek Revival Doric porticos. In its early days, Divinity Hall contained the entire Divinity School. It was later used as a dormitory, then classrooms. Notable residents have included Ralph Waldo Emerson, Theodore Parker, and philosopher George Santayana. Its chapel contains a fine organ by George S. Hutchings, recently restored. Today, the building houses classrooms, faculty offices, and several administrative offices, including the Office of Student Life, the Office of Admissions and Financial Aid, the Office of the Registrar, the Office of Communications, and the Office of Development and External Relations. G. $25


Mass317. No ID. Harvard College, in Cambridge, Mass. Medical College, North Grove Street, Boston, built in 1846. G. $25


Mass318. No ID. Harvard College, in Cambridge, Mass. Lawrence Scientific School, built in 1848. G. $25


Mass319. No ID. Harvard College, in Cambridge, Mass. Stoughton Hall, dormitories, built in 1804-5. Stoughton Hall is Harvard’s second building to be named Stoughton Hall. Designed by Charles Bulfinch, it was built by Thomas Dawes. The original Stoughton Hall was built in 1700 and funded by Massachusetts Lieutenant Governor William Stoughton, who also presided over the Salem witch trials. Past residents include Trip Hawkins, Jeremy Lin, Eric Maskin, Mehmet Oz, and Sydney Schanberg. G. $25


Mass320. No ID. Harvard College, in Cambridge, Mass. Weld Hall, dormitories, built in 1871-2. Weld was the second of two important additions to the Harvard campus designed by Ware & Van Brunt (the first being Memorial Hall). It was a gift of William Fletcher Weld, in memory of his brother Stephen Minot Weld, and represented a new trend toward picturesque silhouettes that became important in American domestic architecture of the later nineteenth century, as can be seen in the Queen Anne style which was popular during the same period. Past residents include Robert Bacon, Ben Bernanke, Michael Crichton, Christopher Durang, Daniel Ellsberg, Douglas J. Feith, Fred Grandy, Lionel de Jersey Harvard, Rashida Jones, Ryan Jones, John F. Kennedy, Douglas Kenney, Michael Kinsley, Vladimir Lehovich, Neil H. McElroy, Neil deGrasse Tyson, Patrick Harlan and Scott Weinger. G. $25


Mass321. No ID. Harvard College, in Cambridge, Mass. Gymnasium, built in 1850. G. $25


Mass322. No ID. Harvard College, in Cambridge, Mass. Museum of Comparative Anatomy, built in 1859. This title was underlined but appears to have been erased so I am not certain which building this actually is. G. $25


Mass323. Barnum. Bunker Hill, Charlestown, Mass. G. $25


Mass324. Heywood. Published by Frank Rowell, Boston. No. 400 Views of Boston and Vicinity. Park Square. G. $25


Mass325. W.H. Getchell, Boston. Interior View of the Oriental Tea Co’s Store, 85, 87 & 89 Court Street, Boston. VG. $65


Mass326. John P. Soule, Boston. No. 234. Winter View of Park Street and State House, Boston, Mass. VG. $15


Mass327. No ID. Natural History Building, Boston. G. $15


Mass328. No ID. Institute of Technology, Boston. VG. $15


Mass329. No ID. Label for James Cremer’s Stereoscopic Emporium, Philadelphia on verso. New State House, Boston. G. $15