Steamer Juniata Steamer Juniata Steamer Juniata
SHBD4. No ID. Manuscript on verso: “Str. Juniata.” Cabinet Card measures 4 1/8″ x 6 1/2.” This card was part of a group of identified Mobile Alabama Boudoir Cards. Here is some information on this vessel:
The third South Carolina, a screw steamer built at Boston in 1860, was purchased by the Navy at Boston on 3 May 1861 and commissioned at the Boston Navy Yard on 22 May 1861, Capt. James Alden in command.  The steamer departed Boston on 24 May 1861 and carried ordnance and ammunition to Pensacola, Fla. She joined the Gulf Blockading Squadron at Berwick Bay, La., on 24 June 1861 and then took station off Galveston, Tex. On 4 July, she celebrated Independence Day there by capturing six small schooners. She took two more the next day and one each on the 6th and 7th. South Carolina engaged confederate batteries at Galveston on 3 August. On 11 September, she made a prize of Galveston steamer Anna Taylor, laden with coffee and masquerading as the Tampico ship, Solodad Cos. She captured schooners Ezilda and Joseph H. Toone off Southwest Pass on 4 October; and, on the 16th, took Edward Barnard, after that British schooner had run the blockade out of Mobile with 600 barrels of turpentine. Sloop Florida fell prey to the vigilant blockader on 11 December. On 19 February 1862, South Carolina and Brooklyn chased steamer Magnolia in the gulf after the steamer had slipped away from the Confederate coast carrying a large cargo of cotton. Magnolia’s crew exploded one of her boilers, set her afire, and attempted to escape; but South Carolina captured the Southerner’s boats, boarded the flaming steamer, and put out the fire. In March, South Carolina received orders to return to Boston where she was decommissioned on 8 April for badly needed repairs. Recommissioned on 16 June, the steamer was reassigned to the South Atlantic Blockading Squadron; departed Boston four days later; and joined the blockade off Charleston, on the 16th. She served in that squadron until the closing weeks of the Civil War. South Carolina destroyed abandoned schooner Patriot aground near Mosquito Inlet, Fla., on 27 August; and captured schooner Nellie off Port Royal, S.C., on 27 March 1863. Departing Charleston on 9 March 1865, South Carolina entered the Philadelphia Navy Yard on the 15th and was decommissioned there on the 25th to be fitted out as a store ship. Recommissioned on 17 June, the ship sailed on 4 July to carry stores to ships at Port Royal, Key West, and Pensacola. She returned to Philadelphia on the last day of July and, during the next year, made four more similar logistic cruises. After returning to New York from her last voyage on 20 July 1866, South Carolina was decommissioned at the New York Navy Yard on 17 August 1866 and was sold at public auction at New York on 5 October 1866. Redocumented Juniata on 24 December 1866, the former blockader remained long in merchant service. She was reduced to a schooner barge on 8 April 1893 and soon after vanished from maritime records. VG. $25

SHBD11. Card photo 4″ x 8.25″ by D.F. Barry, West Superior, Wis. titled McDougal Whaleback. On verso is written “Steamer Chas. W. Wetmore.”

The SS Charles W. Wetmore was a whaleback freighter built in 1891 by Alexander McDougall’s American Steel Barge Company shipyard in Superior, Wisconsin, USA. She was named in honor of Charles W. Wetmore, a business associate of Alexander McDougall, officer of the shipyard, and associate of the Rockefeller family.

The Wetmore was built in 1891 as hull #112 of the American Steel Barge Company works. The Wetmore was 264 ft (80 m) long with a beam of 38 ft (12 m) and a 16.4 ft (5.0 m) draft and gross tonnage of 3,000. Her power was a single 700 horsepower (520 kW) steam engine, but she also had four jury masts with sails for emergency use. As typical for freight whalebacks, there was a small turret at the bow which had anchor hoisting machinery and other equipment. Three turrets at the stern raised the stern cabin and pilothouse off the hull. Her single stack exited through one of the turrets. A typical crew complement was 22.

The Wetmore was the first whaleback to operate outside the Great Lakes, when in June 1891, as a way to promote the whaleback design, she was sent to London and Liverpool, England, carrying a cargo of 95,000 bushels of grain. This required traversing the rapids of the Saint Lawrence River as she was too big to fit through the locks of the time, and was therefore practically a one-way journey. After her visit to England, where she reportedly caused a “sensation” she returned to New York and loaded machinery and equipment there and in Philadelphia. She then sailed to Everett, Washington, via Cape Horn. Her journey was covered in the Puget Sound local press. The equipment was to be used to start a new shipyard, The Pacific Steel Barge Company, and to outfit a nail mill and iron smelter.

Her designer, Alexander McDougall arrived in Everett in early December, in advance of her arrival. When almost there, she lost her rudder (it had gradually been coming unriveted since the Galápagos Islands according to her captain) and she had to be towed in by the SS Zambezi out of Hong Kong. As was typical marine salvage practice at the time, the owners of the Zambezi filed a salvage claim for one third the value of the ship and cargo. She was nevertheless received with great enthusiasm by the local townsfolk.

Her career was short: she ran aground on 8 September 1892 in fog off Coos Bay, Oregon while carrying a load of coal from Tacoma, Washington bound for San Francisco.] Salvage attempts were frustrated due to bad weather, and the vessel was abandoned. Meanwhile the Pacific Steel Barge Company yard, founded with the equipment she brought, built the SS City of Everett. No other whalebacks were built by the shipyard. G-. $125